Embedded monitoring and evaluation systems that inform NRM actions
Regional monitoring that utilises local data in respectful ways and the development of region-wide indicators. These enable landholders and support organisations to learn skills and monitor data to measure long-term land-use change outcomes, which inform the implementation of future practices. Opportunities for custodianship and data sharing agreements are key to accessing this pathway.
How was it identified?
Over 20 years, there have been calls from the community for better systems and standardisation of monitoring and evaluation. Some large systems have been established, such as the ERIN database of the CYPLUS and the recent Pest Central standard and database for the Queensland Government.
Cape York NRM developed this pathway through its work on implementing tools and setting up systems to track social and environmental outcomes. Some of these include Cybertracker, Fulcrum, enviromental accounting, the North Australia Fire Information Service and internal lessons database.
- Identify the indicators and tools that groups currently use on Cape York monitoring the landscape, such as for coral bleaching, vegetation condition, pasture and soil condition and species populations.
- Analyse the current accessible information to see what works and the gaps.
- Develop indicators for monitoring the environment and people - through surveys, remote sensing technologies and through long-term site monitoring.
- Evaluate tools that are used by people on Cape York.
- Identify barriers to developing new tools like Fulcrum and permissions for data sharing.
- Identify the need for monitoring outcomes of projects and activities.
- Look for sources of available data.
- Collate and interpret collected data.
- Identify locations to implement long-term monitoring sites.
- Identify gaps to fill, such as plant and animal surveys.
- Work with land managers and other organisations to collect and interpret data.
- Conduct field work.
- Seek permissions for storing and sharing data.
- Provide results back to the landholders or stakeholders working with them on adaptations.